DUNMANHIGH STUDENT COUNCIL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we there yet?

Go down

Are we there yet? Empty Are we there yet?

Post  Samuel Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Sorry this isn't really about the amazing race, but covering day 1 on a whole =X
Day 1 - Are we there yet?

I went to the airport with my family at around 5 if I remember correctly, and saw a few SCs at the foodcourt as well. It was supposed to be my family waiting for me to eat, but ended up the other way round since I was kind of full. So it was just waiting until all have gathered, people got their boarding passes and we all said quick goodbyes. Nobody shed any tears, at least I didn't see any.

Switched seats with Sara and ended up with a stranger sitting beside me. Oh well, at least I got the aisle seat, and the lady was pretty nice. The plane trip was booooooring and slow as always, most of the entertainment coming from staring blankly on the tiny bite-sized screen that also seemed to be looking straight back.

We were all glad to get out of the plane and finally stretch our legs, before getting on yet again another transit flight to Cairns from Sydney. Everyone suddenly somehow formed groups and the omni-present poker cards finally emerged from various bags. I only remember playing a few games, like Tong Wei's MRT station card game, Cheat and Idiot. So time decided to give us a break and moved a little faster than usual, allowing us to board the plane before we started to get realllllly restless.

I slept on the second flight through most of the way, and the moment we passed the Customs at Cairns, guess who/what greeted us? I'll give you a clue. What does a camera in DHS usually hang in front of?

Mr Yeo! A few were kind of surprised, because he told some people that he couldn't get a ticket, but that seems like a very Mr Yeo thing to do. Oh well. Now we know that we'll definitely have pictures.

The second thing that greeted us wasn't a "who", but a "what". When we stepped out of the Airport, people did not hestitate to remove their jackets. It was hot enough to fry a whole supermarket warehouse, let alone a group of SCs. I quickly loaded my bag into the coach's luggage compartment and rush up into the coach to feel the relieving... Wait. Sir, are you sure the air-conditioning is on? Or is that piece of plastic up there just for fun? I couldn't feel a single wheeze of pathetic air from the aircon in the bus.

Tolerance is a virtue (I think), so I tried to ignore the fact that we were in a 30 degree environment. Cheng Qian Confucius say: 心静自然凉。On the way, auntie Angela was telling us that we were staying "not in a hotel, but a ho-stel, S for Simple." If simple meant no aircon, I swore I would've murdered somebody on the bus by then.

Fortunately (for both me and potential victims), the bus ride was short and we soon found the crucial piece of metal attached on the wall in our room.

-will be continued ASAP after my blisters get worse from 5 hours of dancing

-make that 7

So we started to UNPACK - Un-Nicely Pile All Carried (insert synonym of luggage starting with K. Kargo?)

After we explored the hostel and confirmed our worst fears that we could do nothing more than swim in the pool for entertainment, it was off the the one and only shopping centre that we went to for lunch - Cairns Central! A large group of us went to get Subway for lunch because we wanted to walk around and have a look.

Soon after, we assembled and started a small amazing race, breaking up into groups of three. We actually had a original group of 6, so we decided to just simply walked together, and laughed at the people running ahead to the first stop. It was a 10 minute stroll to the lagoon swimming pool, which was really really cool. In more ways than one.

I got wet after getting the rock out from the pool and recieved our next clue. We waited for the other group once again before spending a grand total of 30 minutes before getting to the next stop, which happened to be a long 600m approx away. How tiring.

The next one was the killer. We asked a man where the anchor (which was what we were supposed to find). He turned us the directly opposite way and wasted about another 30 minutes, and even after we turned back, we overshot and wasted another total of 30 minutes before finally finding it. Picture will be uploaded ASAP to show how tired we were.

Our group was late for the Reef Teach talk because we spent too much time walking in wrong directions. It was pretty okay, but nothing special so I'll just stop wasting time.
Samuel
Samuel

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum