DUNMANHIGH STUDENT COUNCIL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

being stronger

+3
Admin
Ming Quan
kekyanlin
7 posters

Go down

being stronger Empty being stronger

Post  kekyanlin Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:57 am

From the rafting experience at Barron River, I am going to talk about the concept of Communication and Keeping a positive mindset, which can be seen as a crucial key to success in the things we do in our daily lives.

What I am going to say now is rather similar to things I have learnt in Legendary Leaders Summit Camp. I am going to relate what I have learnt to our experience in water rafting. Firstly, we should understand that many of the problems that occur in a team are the direct result of people failing to communicate. Broken or faulty communication causes the most problems. It leads to confusion and can cause a good plan to fail. Communication is the exchange and flow of information and ideas from one person to another. It involves a sender transmitting an idea to a receiver. Effective communication occurs only if the receiver understands the exact information or idea that the sender intended to transmit. Just like in our groups, there is a person who plays the role of leader, he/she will shout a set of orders and commands that is understood by everyone. Whereas the other play the roles of followers, which is as important, since they will listen and perform their tasks and this ensures that the mission is carried out smoothly, efficiently and successfully.

So, studying the communication process is important because we coach, coordinate, counsel, evaluate, and supervise through this process. It is the chain of understanding that integrates the members of an organization from top to bottom, bottom to top, and side to side.

Sometimes we think that we have communicated once we told someone to do something. "I don't know why it did not get done... I told Jim to it!." More than likely, Jim misunderstood the message. A message has NOT been communicated unless it is understood by the receiver. Communication is a two-way traffic. The feedback tells the sender that the receiver understood the message, its level of importance, and what must be done with it.
And the level of importance usually depends on 3 Vs, they are:

Verbal(7%) - Words you used
Vocal(38%) - Tone, pitch and volume
Visual(55%) - Body language, gestures, facial expressions, eye contact

Think of your leader. What words,tones, pitch, volume, body language, gestures, facial expressions and eye contact did she used?

Next, keeping a positive mindset is also very important if we are working as a team because it keeps the team spirit high and going. A journey will never be all smooth sailing. After all, when our teammates is discouraged, who is the most effective person to tell them "I believe in you."? Our teammates of course. A true leader has this ability to touch and motivate not only himself/herself but the people around him/her. Influence, then comes into the picture. And motivation comes from the set of goals you started out with. It all comes back to the start. Everything goes in a circle. Sometimes motivating yourself is tiring but a leader should have the confidence and never stop trying. When thrown with a problem, do we face and overcome it or hide away from it? Where will our confidence come from? Reaffirmations from our teammates give us the strength to push on when facing challenges. Being positive helps not only you to pick yourself up from falls, it also helps your team to look on the brighter side of life, take it easy and smile. The end is not the most important, but rather the process. How close are we, how supportive are we of our team, how patient and positive are we.

When our team is down, falling back to the set of goals we have made as a team helps us to stay positive and see how far we have gone. Sometimes we are too caught up with things that we become lost and fail to see the initial goals we set for ourselves before we embark on a mission.

Just like the strong currents and hard rocks may cause some of our teammates to fall into the river, or even go the way we don't want. Along the way we may suffer cuts or bruises, or become hurt in some ways, as long as our teammates are there for us, to cheer us on, to re-instill the strong belief in us, I can be certain that nothing cannot be achieved.

I guess the feelings and thoughts that we went through during the activities has somehow helped each and everyone of us to learn more about ourselves and our friends, not forgetting helping us to grow and see things from a different perspective.

I have learnt not to take things at face value. Just like the river may seem rocky and you may think to yourself, this journey is not going to be smooth, but you may sail through it without much obstacles. And even if the river seems peaceful on the surface, there may be rocks hidden underneath. But it doesn't really matters. Because at the end of the day, it's the experience that makes you stronger.

yanlin:)

kekyanlin
Babysitter
Babysitter

Number of posts : 4
Department : Corporate relations
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Back to top Go down

being stronger Empty River of Life

Post  Ming Quan Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:15 pm

Hey guys~

Just read yan lin's and yi xiang's post, so i shall put some points of my own about just expand on their points and insert some thoughts of my own.

Firstly, the looking out concept: yes I agree we must always look out for one another. Like they say, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, if one by one the members give up, even the strongest will fall when left standing alone. We should ensure that all our team members are with us, remember even if you don’t feel great, your team mates might not be doing well either, so be observant! See if we can notice something amiss: someone's upset, feeling ill, tired, stressed or even unable to carry on. Show your LOVE people!

But looking out is just the first part, take action! This could be harder, sometimes its instinct, like me pulling a friend out of the water when she falls in (: but at other times taking action can be hard, just like when we were sitting peacefully in the raft when a instructor suddenly grabbed miss chua's lifejacket and shook her above the water. We were all stunned. So while ms chua was being given the shock of her life, the rest of us were just staring wide-eyed at her. Afterwards, ms chua was asking why none of us went forward to help her, and well we all had our reasons, for me, I was afraid I would cause more damage than help. Thus, we can tell that leaders do need to be decisive and make appropriate choices, and this depends on your everyday practice. And something does come out of looking out and helping others, that is bonding. In time, you will understand each other more and build up mutual trust. This trust will come in handy very often.

Now, I further emphasize on the importance of communication. Actually I was in the same raft as yan lin, and I’m sure she and everyone else kept seeing our instructor, M, tapping my helmet with the oar. Why? It was because I wasn’t following instructions. I did pay attention, but I could not hear clearly through the helmet and over the flowing river. Our team mates decided to help me out, several of them including Dinah and Pui Mun would shout at me to get the message across. This is called helping out!

Besides verbal communication, we can also communicate through body language. The two people taking the front oars lead the others in rowing, according to instructor M, they are supposed to coordinate between themselves via eye contact and the others shall just follow the front. If someone goes out of rhythm, the oars start knocking into others and this affects the speed of the raft. So do take note, when you are in a team, its not just about you, it is about everyone. Leaders have to be good followers too, you can’t have everyone leading together, otherwise there will be chaos! If you ever need help, approach your team mates, suffering in silence could prove to be a greater hindrance than help to your team.

As time went by, we started getting tired, and when we reached the wide, calm river, coordinating the oars was proving to be a hassle. Previously, whenever we could not coordinate our oars, the instructor would shout, “one-two”, but she is but one. We began to follow her in the “one-two” chant, and it helps. Later on, Karmen even started cheering” SC oi”. This is Keeping A Positive Mindset. In fact, that was the only time for thr trip I heard us SCs doing cheers. Karmen even creatively modified, “one-two” to “S-C”, cool huh.

The river rafting ended days back, but our river of life still flows on. Learn from your experience and steer your raft towards your goal!
Very Happy

Ming Quan

Number of posts : 6
Department : Corporate Relations
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

being stronger Empty River of Life

Post  Ming Quan Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:16 pm

Hey guys~

Just read yan lin's and yi xiang's post, so i shall put some points of my own about just expand on their points and insert some thoughts of my own.

Firstly, the looking out concept: yes I agree we must always look out for one another. Like they say, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, if one by one the members give up, even the strongest will fall when left standing alone. We should ensure that all our team members are with us, remember even if you don’t feel great, your team mates might not be doing well either, so be observant! See if we can notice something amiss: someone's upset, feeling ill, tired, stressed or even unable to carry on. Show your LOVE people!

But looking out is just the first part, take action! This could be harder, sometimes its instinct, like me pulling a friend out of the water when she falls in (: but at other times taking action can be hard, just like when we were sitting peacefully in the raft when a instructor suddenly grabbed miss chua's lifejacket and shook her above the water. We were all stunned. So while ms chua was being given the shock of her life, the rest of us were just staring wide-eyed at her. Afterwards, ms chua was asking why none of us went forward to help her, and well we all had our reasons, for me, I was afraid I would cause more damage than help. Thus, we can tell that leaders do need to be decisive and make appropriate choices, and this depends on your everyday practice. And something does come out of looking out and helping others, that is bonding. In time, you will understand each other more and build up mutual trust. This trust will come in handy very often.

Now, I further emphasize on the importance of communication. Actually I was in the same raft as yan lin, and I’m sure she and everyone else kept seeing our instructor, M, tapping my helmet with the oar. Why? It was because I wasn’t following instructions. I did pay attention, but I could not hear clearly through the helmet and over the flowing river. Our team mates decided to help me out, several of them including Dinah and Pui Mun would shout at me to get the message across. This is called helping out!

Besides verbal communication, we can also communicate through body language. The two people taking the front oars lead the others in rowing, according to instructor M, they are supposed to coordinate between themselves via eye contact and the others shall just follow the front. If someone goes out of rhythm, the oars start knocking into others and this affects the speed of the raft. So do take note, when you are in a team, its not just about you, it is about everyone. Leaders have to be good followers too, you can’t have everyone leading together, otherwise there will be chaos! If you ever need help, approach your team mates, suffering in silence could prove to be a greater hindrance than help to your team.

As time went by, we started getting tired, and when we reached the wide, calm river, coordinating the oars was proving to be a hassle. Previously, whenever we could not coordinate our oars, the instructor would shout, “one-two”, but she is but one. We began to follow her in the “one-two” chant, and it helps. Later on, Karmen even started cheering” SC oi”. This is Keeping A Positive Mindset. In fact, that was the only time for thr trip I heard us SCs doing cheers. Karmen even creatively modified, “one-two” to “S-C”, cool huh.

The river rafting ended days back, but our river of life still flows on. Learn from your experience and steer your raft towards your goal!
Very Happy

Ming Quan

Department : Corporate Relations
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

being stronger Empty great reflection!

Post  Admin Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:22 pm

yes mingquan, i totally agree with you, we have to take action. i witness the miss chua incident and was really stunned too, now we know we also have to take action instead of looking on!

P.S karmen thanks you for praising her creativity! (because im karmen!)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-12-09

http://dhsstudentcouncil.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

being stronger Empty AGREE!

Post  kekyanlin Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Mingquan! Well said! you can summarise the river rafting so much better than I can! *Claps* Really like the way you wrote it. I agree with alot of parts but I can't rmb what so yea, there were dissapointments yea? Like Ms Chua incident. Was rather shock nobody went forward to help her... Sad Oh yea, I agree with you tht our river of life and leadership still flows. Make the right decision for yourself. As we move along, we will meet with problems. But that's what makes life beautiful. Ups and Downs in life. So, dont be afraid to challenge the problems. Since we cant choose the problems we face, let's choose the mindset we face it with! Set your values and mindsets at the start. and hold on to it until the end. Jiayou.

PS: we seriously didnt cheer enough throughout the trip!!!

Yan Lin

kekyanlin
Babysitter
Babysitter

Back to top Go down

being stronger Empty Re: being stronger

Post  yixiang (labbit) ^^ Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:08 am

ZOMG.. nice one man!!! pro analysis.. ^^ its all true!! haha.. really..
yixiang (labbit) ^^
yixiang (labbit) ^^
Babysitter
Babysitter

Number of posts : 30
Department : IA!!!

Back to top Go down

being stronger Empty yay mingquan

Post  weijie Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:58 pm

i like the part about taking action...

sometimes thinking too much hinders your reaction... if you think it is right and could "save a life" (speaking from the rafting viewpoint) then do it without hesitation.. haha...

for my group... it was quite a quiet ride... hm.. but then we had good time cuz our guide was quite fun... he jokes, but some not funny -.- then he got once pushed steffi down to the water by purpose!! we were like shocked...

but ya, steffi survived la.. n then later we oso sang "row row row your boat" together.. haha... then mdm loh actually didnt want to get wet de... but in the end all of us got into the water at the part where its safe enuff to swim n mdm loh was like "y teachers oso nid to go down the water" haha... n the water was really cold... for me. haha, i super prone to the cold... zz... then i tremble... haha... but soon i was alright but still cold..

yup.. though the rafting was not very difficult, it was safe and fun enuff at some parts where we get the drops and the struggles to keep the boat stable... then we have the "oohs.!' and the "ahhs..!" together... haha...

o ya, one thing about helping out each other... u know the guides also help out one another though were on different boats.? our guide told us the reason tht we have to wait after every obstacle is to ensure tht the boat after us reaches down safely... they communicated thru the whistles to make sure everything is alright then they move on... so when u are wondering y we nid to wait, it is to ensure the safety of everyone on the boat you r on, and the boat tht the others r on... cool right...

i rmr tht when mabel drop down... wow... they reacted quite fast... our guide was like try to pick her up, failed, then started calling out to the other guides... n mabel was picked up by another boat... then returned back to us...

looking out for one another
weijie
weijie
Babysitter
Babysitter

Number of posts : 27
Department : internal affairs~

http://www.sadisticatedz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

being stronger Empty yea~!

Post  yixiang (labbit) ^^ Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:11 am

yea lo.. de guides are very pro and proffessional.. hm.. these 2 words got differernce rite? anyway yup! its correct that they were caring for our safety.. and its super fun too.. our guide parks us at dat corner den went off saying we can get to see a good show.. haha.. and we did!
yixiang (labbit) ^^
yixiang (labbit) ^^
Babysitter
Babysitter

Number of posts : 30
Department : IA!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kekyanlin Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:21 am

yea, did you realise that the activity isnt the most impt? It's rather the people we worked with! We rocked. That's why the activity did:)

kekyanlin
Babysitter
Babysitter

Back to top Go down

Post  chua.yuru Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:01 pm

for my banana boat team- xingqi,liangwei,seeting,me,gillian,joyce,mr yeo and chris- we worked well as a team! yay good job guys! only sometimes mr yeo will forward paddle instead of back paddle. haha. he's probably just confused with the front and back thingy. Shocked

at first we started out by saying 1 2 1 2 1 2... then after a while, we just row silently together and in time somemore! yay good job guys again. it's like having a common heart and goal, that we come together as one. it was relly very touching.

our guide's not so violent as what the other groups have mentioned. he didnt push us into the water nor did he dunk us into the water. instead he asked who wants to jump into the water so as to demonstrate how to rescue someone. xingqi volunteered. so ours is rather peaceful. and ours did surfing for the longest time! yay! cause we are the first to do it! Very Happy

giving clear instructions and listening to instructions are both equally as important. without any one of them, the whole activity might just go haywired right away. so guys, listen to your leader carefully. and leaders, give clear and precise instructions. with both leaders and players working hand in hand, i dont see why anything would flop. so jia you fellow juniors! this applies in your everyday life and sc events too! be a good listener and follower while being a great leader. Smile
chua.yuru
chua.yuru

Department : EXCO0607 ; Internal Affairs (since 2005)
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

being stronger Empty Rafting... and falling.

Post  mabel.ang Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Haha everyone post until so serious, I'd better not type too much rubbish otherwise I'd sound really funny.

-----

Rafting activity was excellent. It taught me to stay on guard at ALL times and not to let my mind wander away, because if I was unfocused for that one split second, I could cause trouble. Which I did, hahahaha. Crying or Very sad We were rafting happily; Zhi Xin and I were in front rowing in sync, and we were about to conquer another (probably grade 2) rapid. Not knowing what to expect, I stopped rowing and held onto the ropes when our guide instructed us to hold on tight. Sadly enough, the boat JUST HAD TO go down on my side. Which meant it moved down the rapid in a supercool position man. Hahaha apparently my grip on the ropes plus my body balance wasn't too good enough. I should've leaned to the front but I didn't really. Was too busy screaming my lungs out. So I went down into the milowater. pale and I was scared out of my wits! But remembering what our guide told us during the pre-rafting orientation, I made an attempt to lift up my legs and erm float -.- and I had no idea what happened because I was SCARED but soon I was pulled up by the neighbouring boat, filled with unfamiliar people. Had to row a bit with them for awhile before I was "shipped" back to my boat. But the fear lingered throughout the rest of the river course so I set my mind to stay on guard every second. I could enjoy the scenery or scream at any other time. Hahaha.

Nevertheless, it was a good (albeit scary affraid) experience. Falling out of the boat/raft made me understand how important it is to keep focused and not let my mind wander. So this would apply to all other happenings in my daily life. That's what mistakes are for. They are there for you to learn from. I'm glad I fell in (sounds weird) after all Smile

Kudos to Zhi Xin too, who got bullied like 349731089741 times and many people dunked her into the milowater just because she had muscles, and to Steffi, who got pushed in by our guide. Water is good! clown
mabel.ang
mabel.ang

Number of posts : 2
Department : DHSSC EXCO'0607
Registration date : 2007-12-16

http://whatafacade.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: